ESFRI Follow-up Workshop on RI Funding Questionnaire
The Competitive Council in its Conclusions on Research Infrastructures adopted on 2/12/2022, acknowledged that the RI funding requires strategic investments through the entire RI life-cycle, which spreads over decades. It encouraged Member States to form a sustainable political commitment on long-term funding of RIs. Moreover, it invited Member States and the Commission through ESFRI to perform an analysis of the types of financial support to the European RIs throughout their life-cycle, identify good practices and synergies of various RI funding resources, and explore appropriate RI funding models and corresponding RI funding initiatives.
Against this background, ESFRI has established a drafting group in charge of analysing the topic in detail and preparing recommendations. The ESFRI Drafting Group on RI Funding elaborated a questionnaire and addressed it to the European research infrastructures. The questionnaire was available on-line from February 14th till April 20th 2023.
A Follow-up online Workshop is organised on June 23, 2023, from 13:00 to 15:00 CET, for RI representatives contributing to this survey. This workshop aims to discuss with the Research infrastructures the information gathered from this questionnaire.
Some of the issues should be tackled via the direct dialogue with the research infrastructures in order to better understand their feedback:
- Do you see any benefit for your research infrastructure in this kind of exercise?
- What were the difficulties for your research infrastructure to fill in the questionnaire?
- Why do the research infrastructures hesitate to give the budget numbers concerning access?
- What would help distributed research infrastructures to fill in the budget numbers for all the nodes?
- How to inspire research infrastructures to give projections and plans for the upcoming 10 years?
- What are the suggestions from research infrastructures for this ESFRI drafting group?
Participation in the Workshop is available by invitation-only.
Agenda- Friday, 23 June 2023 (13:00- 15:00 CET)
- Introduction, objectives and further steps - Elena Hoffert, chair of the ESFRI Drafting Group on RI funding
- Strategy and expectations - Agnès Robin, EC DG RTD, A4
- Feedback from member states on RI funding - Presentation and discussion: Ricardo Miguéis, External expert
- Feedback form RI on their funding models - Presentation and discussion: Markus Pasterk, External expert